BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, November 10, 2008

Burning Desire

I am 65 days clean. Just when I think I have this recoery thing in the bag, that miserable feeling creeps up on me. I was psyched that I wasn't feeling so sick anymore and because of that joy I paid less and less attention to the internal recovery I would struggle with. I'm beginning to believe what they say ... this IS something I will struggle with for the rest of my life.
For the longest time, (almost all my life), my mind has been plagued by self hatred, depression, anxiety and anger. I have always attacked myself about my appearance. I don't think there was a day in my teen or adult life that I didn't criticize myself. Downing myself caused me to be depressed and reclusive. My depression and low self-esteem caused me to have anxiety. I would have minor anxiety attacks when I had nothing to wear because I "didn't fit into anything". I would have anxiety attacks when I was around to many people. I would have anxiety when people were disrespectful ... All of these issues combined caused my toughest issue to become unmanageable.
I have always been an angry and violent person. At one point, I was even proud of the fact that I wasn't scared of anyone. I was proud that I had no fear of confronting and provoking someone with aggression or violence. I took pride in the idea that people saw me as harmless when, in fact, that was far from the truth. Now, I'm not saying that I could kick anyone's ass. But I am saying that I would argue or fight whoever was becoming a bother to me. At this point of my life, I am far from proud of my actions.
I became much more careless when I was using. It's amazing how much you realize about yourself when you get clean. Nearly every day, I would throw myself into a harmful situation. But I didn't care. I'm guessing that is why I was so self- destructive. So what if someone cut me? So what if someone found me and jumped me? I didn't give a damn. In fact, I was so angry and depressed that I had a suicide attempt when I was just 18 years old. As far as I remember, I wasn't trying to kill myself, but I was trying to get as much attention as possible. I wanted people around me to understand the severity of my situation. No one really took my anger and depression seriously. I'm sure everyone thought I was just being a rebellious teenager. No one had any idea things would ever get so bad for me.
About four weeks into my recovery, I wasn't feeling so sick anymore. I still had some shakes, anxiety, aching, insomnia, and much more BUT it was manageable. I felt better and better every day. Now I am 65 days into my recovery and I feel like I'm slipping. For the first time in over two months, I can actually relax on my couch and watch a movie without completely jumping out of my skin. I am finally sleeping more. I can finally take naps. But now that I'm healing physically, inside I continue to struggle. Without my beloved pills, I can't seem to manage my emotions most of the time. I can't get myself out of this rut. I want to start working again, going to school again, exercising again, living life again ... but there is always something in the way. I have no motivation to go back to the gym. My motivation should be that I want to be healthy and look better but somehow, that's not enough. That's a strange thing because my biggest issue is that I do not like myself. I want to go back to school but I have to pay them over two thousand dollars to go back. I don't have that money because I have no job right now. And for the first time in my life, I am having a hard time finding a job. So it's a never ending cycle. I have no idea what to do first.
Without something to do, I am getting restless and anxious again. I'm coming down on myself HARD. I don't feel accomplished. I have nothing to show for the time I spent on this earth. The sad part about my feelings is that I have a daughter and husband who love me very much and I still feel as though I have done nothing good with myself. I love my family but I don't feel as though I am good enough to have them.
So all I have been doing is kicking myself in the ass about what I am not doing and then doing absolutely nothing about it. Why is this disease so tricky? It's almost as if Addiction has played a cruel joke on me. Addiction let me go for about a month and then came back to laugh in my face. It still has me. I'm locked into this disease and I still do not have the tools to hack my way out. Where do I start the change? It's so overwhelming. My mind is spinning. I want to use to take away the pain. My craving doesn't go far enough for me to pick up but it's definitely stirring things up inside. How can I feel good sober? Does anyone know where to go from here? I sure don't.

I'm Stephanie and I'm an addict.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've done a great job designing your blog. When things pile up on you like this, remember to take it one day at a time. I wish you the best.
Jen

Anonymous said...

that's what I thought. A tragedy is worse if it happens to an atractive person. who would give a shit if you were fat and ugly. nice picture!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you liked the picture ... lol.
Addiction is a tragedy and I absolutely have to take it one day at a time. Sometimes it's a minute at a time. But the good part is that it's possible to live sober, you know? I just have to figure out how. ;)
Thanks again.

Rad said...

I think your harder on yourself than you ever need to be. The baby and I would be nothing if not for you, you are the one that holds our family together. Money isn't everything, it's something but not everything. While I go to work everyday, your the one raising the baby and making sure our house is in order. I have the easy part down, you take care of all the hard stuff. All the while lookin sexy as all hell and keeping your maniac, noisy, know it all husband in line. I wish I could help more but you know I'm trying, certain things are out of my reach. Let's go back to school together and take psychology courses, then we can help each other :)

Stephanie said...

Awww baby... you're always so good to me. I love you and the baby too much for words and I appreciate you every minute of the day. Now hurry up and come home from work!
KISSES
Your "Wife" (hehe)

Scott W said...

What to do next?

Go to meetings
Get a sponsor
Read the literature
Work the steps
Find a higher power
Repeat above

Lou said...

65 days is a decade for an addict!
Get a sponsor, someone you can call when the going gets tuff. God
Bless

Anonymous said...

Thanks Scott and Lou. The problem I am having with my taking the suggestions for NA is finding a sponsor. I have yet to find someone (of course a female sponsor) that I can really relate to and feel comfortable talking to about everyday issues. Maybe I just have to let my worries go and take a chance on someone. After all, I can always change my sponsor right?
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions ;)